Ways & Means is a new, comprehensive model of neighborhood self-help that leverages the stability of our mixed-income housing platform to drive economic opportunity for our residents. More than an initiative or a new program, TCB has integrated Ways & Means into its core business practices to give our residents access to the tools and supports they need to succeed, offer coaching to them in the use of these new tools, and provide physical and Web-based environments to facilitate neighbor networking.
These tools are in four interwoven Practice Areas:
- Financial coaching and access to financial products and asset building tools
- Career development
- Youth development
- Network Organizing to build social capital
By the year 2020, Ways & Means aims to achieve the following measurable returns:
- Double the real earned income of residents in our focus communities
- Halve the high school drop‐out rate of youth in our focus communities
- Establish community-generated initiatives in each neighborhood's key impact areas, including health, transportation, and public safety
- Develop and promote a model that makes the financial success of residents the key success metric for managers of affordable housing
What makes Ways & Means different?
- Built upon the residential platforms that TCB manages; as the anchor institution TCB takes accountability for the success of the community and of its residents
- Predicated on a belief in the personal accountability of our residents
- Emphasizes financial coaching, not case management, and the building of social capital within the community
- Aggregates proven financial, workforce, and youth development tools delivered by tested partners who share goals and a commitment to measurable outcomes
- Projected to be self‐sustaining after six years of start‐up capital
Read our success stories to see how Ways & Means makes a difference in our residents' lives.